Welcome to Book Lovers Paradise

Welcome to my attempt at blogging. I am a true to heart bibliophile. Here I will discuss and review books as I read them. You are welcome to do the same. The only rules are no profanity, no politics, no religion, and have fun!
Donna

Friday, November 2, 2012


Today's guest post is from Graham J. Sharpe, author of PURPLE.

but first, a little bit about the book

FINALIST IN THE KINDLE BOOK REVIEW'S BEST INDIE BOOKS OF 2012 

After a purple storm sweeps around Planet Earth, stealing millions of people, four teenagers struggle to make it alone in London.

Drawn together by a series of bizarre coincidences, Ellie, Midge, Scott and Marty soon find themselves entangled with a bunch of interfering pensioners. Among the cast of players are flamboyant hairdresser Mr Rupert, Pearl the loud-mouthed tea lady, and June, a psychic, who travels the world on her motorbike.

As the tranquillizing effects of the Purple diminish, greed and the lust for power take hold. Penny Treasure, leader of the Decision Makers Council, dreams up an idea that could destroy the world forever.

In a desperate hunt to find the missing, clues are pieced together and some shocking secrets come tumbling out of the closet

my thoughts

I enjoyed reading PURPLE.  It took me a while to figure out what was happening.  Imagine a Purple cloud storm that removes everyone aged 18-65.  Hmmm, no one to nag you, or tell you to clean your room.  No one to tuck you in at night, or make chicken soup for you when you're feeling badly.

We traverse this world (mainly in London) 6 months after the storm.  We see things through Ellie's eyes.  Ellie is just 15 years old, but forced through these bizarre circumstances to act more like a grown up.  All the children have to suddenly grow up and literally run the world.  We see Ellie and her friends grow up very quickly.  They face a very adult world.  Ellie has the benefit of meeting a bizarre group of people.  You, as the reader, will love some of these characters.  

Mr. Sharpe is an amazing writer.  He has managed to make these characters believable and lovable. The social issues faced by these kids are masterfully described by Mr. Sharpe.  You will laugh, love and cry with these characters.

I recommend PURPLE for kids of all ages.  



about Graham:

At the age of twelve Graham regularly danced around the lounge to Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. Now forty five, he still hasn't decided what he'll do when he grows up.
So far, he's worked in an ice cream shop, trained as a hairdresser, studied sociology and psychology, written for and performed with a touring theatre company, and backpacked across far-flung countries with loose change in his pocket.
Graham now combines travelling with writing and he completed his first novel 'Purple' during the sleepless, jet-lagged hours spent in hotel rooms around the world.
You can read the full story at http://www.grahamjsharpe.com/about-me/  
(bio from Mr. Sharpe's Goodreads page)




And now for our guest post from Mr. Sharpe

Graham Blog Post
Topic: Bullying

Today, it seems like every time we turn on a talk show or listen to the news someone is talking about bullying and how it’s affecting young people of all ages. While I was writing Purple there were always these moments when I would read articles in the news about bullying and think, “Now would be the perfect time to publish my book.” What I can’t figure out is why it’s just now becoming a major topic of interest. As far as I’m concerned, bullying has always been an issue that needs to be addressed. 

When I began writing Purple I wanted to write a story that reflected my life in some way. While trying to accomplish that goal, I touched on a number of different themes that I believe everyday people can relate to. 

Bullying, whether it’s physical, verbal, or mental, happens to a lot of people and maybe one of the reasons it’s suddenly become a hot topic is the emergence of cyber bullying. To be bullied at school is bad enough, but to be subjected to it at home via the computer or phone must be unbearable. There’s a part in Purple where one of the characters is bullied; his name is Marty and he’s made fun of because he’s black and has an American accent. I was bullied in school, and this was my way of writing a bit of myself into one of my characters. 

I know from personal experience that being bullied is a very embarrassing thing to talk about. No one wants to categorize themselves as a victim. Putting it into words makes the whole situation feel, and sound, a lot worse. I imagine lots of kids pretend it isn’t happening. They don’t tell their parents or teachers and that is actually the worst thing to do in my opinion. Young people need some kind of outlet, some kind of escape. 

When I’m not writing I work as a flight attendant, and because of my job I travel all over the world. I meet people from many different countries. I’ve come to learn that despite our differences in language or colour or the things that we believe, we’re all the same. The vast majority of us on Planet Earth celebrate individuality and a kind gesture or a smile goes a long way no matter where you come from.  


Thank you Mr. Sharpe for stopping by.   

Again, I encourage everyone to read PURPLE.  It's a great book!





No comments:

Post a Comment