Welcome to Book Lovers Paradise

Welcome to my attempt at blogging. I am a true to heart bibliophile. Here I will discuss and review books as I read them. You are welcome to do the same. The only rules are no profanity, no politics, no religion, and have fun!
Donna

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Secrets of the Lighthouse


Summer is not complete without a new novel from top ten bestelling author Santa MontefioreEllen Trawton is running away from it all - quite literally. She is due to get married to a man she doesn't love, her job is dragging her down and her interfering mother is getting on her nerves. So she escapes to the one place she know her mother won't follow her - to her aunt's house in rural Ireland. Once there, she uncovers a dark family secret - and a future she never knew she might have.

Meanwhile, Caitlin Macausland is mourning the future she can never have. She died tragically in what the village thinks is suspicious circumstances, and now she is stuck in a limbo, unable to move on.

And between the two of them is an old lighthouse - the scene of so much tragedy. Can each woman find the peace she so desperately longs for? And can they find the way to live again?

'The House by the Sea has it all: secrets, mystery, passionate love affairs...Unforgettable!' Adriana Trigiani

'A gripping romance . . . It is as believable as the writing is beautiful' Daily Telegraph

'Santa Montefiore is the new Rosamunde Pilcher' Daily Mail

'A superb storyteller of love and death in romantic places in fascinating times' Plum Sykes, Vogue

my thoughts

Unique book. I've never read a book from the point of view of a ghost. That's one of the main characters, Caitlin, the ghost. 

Connemara, Ireland is the main backdrop for this unique story. The author's descriptions of western Ireland are so incredible--I want to visit! It sounds like a fantastic place. I could 'smell the grass' and 'hear the ocean'.

The characters in this novel are incredible. I loved Ellen. She is a spirited individual seeking answers. I loved the entire Byrne clan...a large Irish family full of fun and life. 

I did not like the ghost. While reading this book, I found her to be vain and self centered. My thoughts changed at end. I won't give anything away, but eventually, I felt sorry for the ghost, imagine that!

This is a story of love, of family and of betrayal and secrets. The writing is spectacular. I've never read anything by this author, but will be on the lookout for more!



No comments:

Post a Comment